This landing page contains resources, info & other helpful downloads and links for members of CAPS 2018 Convention related to writing and publishing.
Mark’s Presentation from CAPS 2018: Successfully Navigating Your Publishing Goals
The presentation is best accompanied by the 20 minute audio presentation (when that becomes available). And a warning: The 20 minutes was an attempt to pack more than 20 years of industry experience into 20 minutes.
It is a bit of a fire-hose of information. But if you need help on how to deal with a fire-hose of information, well, I have a podcast episode that focuses on that exact thing: How To Deal With A Firehose of Information).
MORE INFORMATION / BONUSES / LINKS appear below.
The 7 P’s of Publishing Success is a look at the common traits and strategies
that the most successful authors use. It uses examples from both traditional publishing and self-publishing to outline how Practice, Professionalism, Patience, Progression, Persistence, Partnership, Patronage (and even a bonus P: Promotion) can help guide you on your writing and publishing journey.
Please consider leaving an HONEST review on the eBook retailer of your choice. THANKS.
Link to The 7 P’s of Publishing Success on all retailer sites:
Do you want to increase your overall sales and visibility on Kobo? Are you having trouble gaining any traction or growing your reader base outside the Kindle store? Wouldn’t it be empowering not to be dependent upon a single retailer for the majority of your eBook income?
Link to Killing It On Kobo on all retailer sites
NO TIME TO READ THE ENTIRE BOOK ABOUT KOBO? You can sign up to receive a free 10 day email course on KOBO HACKS FOR OPTIMIZING SALES.
The emails are less than 500 words and many contain images to provide an overview and introduction to Kobo in the first couple of emails, then a look at ways to optimize and sell more.
(It’s basically the “Reader’s Digest” or “Coles Notes” version of KILLING IT ON KOBO) – you can enjoy a shorter version of the same insights for FREE…..save time and money…..
Mark’s YouTube Videos for Writers
Stark Reflections on Writing & Publishing (Playlist)
Tips for Writers (Playlist)
Reflections on Digital Publishing
Understanding the cost and return on investment in publishing an eBook
Tips on preparing for a radio or podcast interview
A Super Brief History of Publishing
Other Great Resources for Writers
- Writer Beware: Shines a bright light into the dark corners of the shadow-world of scams, schemes, and pitfalls that prey on authors
- Public Lending Rights (Canada) – https://publiclendingright.ca/ – If you have a print book or ebook or and have NOT registered it, you really need to check this out.
- Canadian authors and publishers get ISBNs for free. Seriously. Americans might have the right to bear arms, but Canadians have the right to bear ISBNs. Perhaps it is a “pen/sword, gun/book” type of thing? Learn more from ISBN Canada.
- Free inclusive book links to all retailers: Books2Read.com
- Joanna Penn – The Creative Penn (www.thecreativepenn.com) – BLOG & PODCAST – 10 years of sharing, and hundreds of great podcast episodes about marketing your book
- Stark Reflections on Writing & Publishing (www.starkreflections.ca) – PODCAST – I’m a bit biased in thinking this is a useful podcast.
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch (The Business Rusch) http://kriswrites.com/business-rusch-publishing-articles/ – Kris brings 4 decades of writing and publishing experience to her weekly blog. Reading this blog helped save me time and money on looking at things like clauses in a publishing contract a writer should be wary of.
- Finding PRO help (Editor, Designer, Marketer) – Reedsy
- Use this affiliate link to get a $20 credit – https://reedsy.com/a/mll
- Facebook Ads (Mark Dawson podcast & courses) – https://selfpublishingformula.com/
- Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi) https://www.allianceindependentauthors.org/
Weekly Writing Inspiration
Weekly quotes about the writing life, send every Sunday.
Webinar Replay (Reedsy Facebook Page) – Kobo Publishing: Getting Your Book Featured
Join Kobo’s former Director of Self-Publishing and Author Relations Mark Leslie Lefebvre as he gives a personal tour of Kobo Writing Life and shows you how to get your book featured in their stores.
Adapted from a series of presentations Mark has done on the opportunities that exist for writers. A high level overview of the business of writing and publishing. (And don’t worry – the frozen screen is not Mark looking down his nose or sneering, but just a middle-aged man desperately trying to read the question on the screen without his reading glasses on)
Join Kobo's former Director of Self-Publishing and Author Relations Mark Leslie Lefebvre as he gives a personal tour of Kobo Writing Life and shows you how to get your book featured in their stores.
Posted by Reedsy on Wednesday, December 5, 2018