This landing page is meant to accompany the August 2021 book Publishing Pitfalls for Authors by offering handy links to recommended resources and references used in the book.
There has never been more opportunity, more options, more pathways for writers.
But with choice come potential pitfalls, traps, and career-limiting plays.
Some of the perils writers might encounter on their writing and publishing journey come from nefarious operators seeking to prey on the hopes and dreams of writers. Other dangers might even come from within, tendencies and traits that authors sometimes overlook; misunderstood information, or potentially even well-intended, but misguided and misinformed advice picked up along the way.
This book, which draws upon more than three decades of experience in writing, publishing, and bookselling, explores those pitfalls and hazards that writers should be aware of so they can navigate their own pathway to writing and publishing success.
Handy Resources & References
- “7 Tools For Pacing A Novel & Keeping Your Story Moving At The Right Pace,” Courtney Carpenter, April 24, 2012.
- “Pacing in Writing: 10 Powerful Ways to Keep Readers Hooked,” Reedsy Blog, October 13, 2018.
- The Patriarchy in Publishing: Examining Effects of the Covid-19 Pandemic on Women (Non-men) in the Publishing Industry – Grace E. Hanson, Portland State University.
- “Shelley: Industry has a ‘real problem’ on gender pay,” Natasha Onwuemzi, The Bookseller, April 9, 2018.
- “Hachette Reports ‘stark’ 24.7% gender pay gap,” Katherine Cowdrey, The Bookseller, March 21, 2018.
- “Over 80% concerned about book trade’s gender pay gap,” The Bookseller, April 6, 2018.
- Nom de plume: A (secret) history of pseudonyms, Carmela Ciuraru, Harper Perennial, 2012.
- “Where Is the Diversity in Publishing? The 2019 Diversity Baseline Survey Reports,” Lee & Low Books, January 28, 2020.
- “How Writers Can Deal With Self Doubt And Imposter Syndrome,” Joanna Penn, The Creative Penn.
- “Episode 206 – No One Will Believe In You More Than You: A When Words Collide Keynote by Steena Holmes,” Stark Reflections Podcast.
- Kristine Kathryn Rusch: Business Musings: The Curse of Early Adopters
- “Episode 163 – Getting a Creative Edge with Mickey Mikkelson,” Stark Reflections Podcast